Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick-Meister Rick-Meister is offline

Default How many wires needed for thermostat?

If you're going to get the Honeywell Vision Pro, spend a few extra
bucks and get the Vision Pro IAQ. The relay module is located down by
the furnace and it only needs 3 wires up to the T-stat. You will save
more by buying the IAQ than it will cost you to run extra wires.

It's ALWAYS better to use a 2-stage thermostat than to use the default
mode on a 2-stage furnace control board. If you jumper the W1 and W2
on the Vision Pro, you're defeating the whole purpose of getting a
2-stage thermostat.

I just noticed my existing wire bundle going to the thermostat has 4 wires
but I am having a new variable speed two stage furnace (Trane XV80)
installed with the existing one stage condenser. I looked in the Honeywell
VisionPro thermostate install guide and it looks like I might need at least
5 or 6 wires. The installer will discover whatever needs to be done, but
just wondering ahead of time if they will have to replace this wire because
it goes through some tricky wall sections.