Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M Bob M is offline

Default New outside door installation issue questions?

Gentlemen;

About a year ago I had a contractor install a new steel, prehung exterior
door. Although I don't know the brand, this door was most likely obtained
at Home Depot. There appears to be nothing wrong with the quality of the
door and its surround.

I am trying to sell this home and the inspector states the door is in need
of adjustment but was not specific. I looked and looked and the only issue
I could find was that compared to other doors in the house it appears to be
set more deeply into the opening as seen from the inside. This means that
when closing the lock bolt hits the 1-1.5" of trim edge before it reaches
the strike plate.

This has never been a problem for me as I relatively effortlessly pull the
door closed just fine. Apparently the potential purchaser has a different
idea!

As I am not a carpenter I am hoping that some of you readers who may be
familiar with installing/repairing similar doors might have an idea as to
what I am describing and even more hopefully how it can be repaired? I am
hesitant to call even a contractor because I don't even know how to best
describe it.

Does the door need to be reinstalled? If so, in what way? I can't imaging
the door could be incorrectly sizes as it looks just fine.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, help GREATLY appreciated. As one
can imagine, in this housing mess and economy I am already taking a real
bath on this house.

Thanks - Bob