Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Daniel Rudy Daniel Rudy is offline

Default Where to buy one 18 V cordless drill motor? (USA)

At about the time of 10/1/2008 6:50 PM, John Doe stated the following:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

John Doe

Any good online merchants that sell the equivalent of cordless drill
motors from 14.4 to 36 volts? Any online stores that sell similarly
powerful DC motors in quantities of one?

There are numerous power tool parts vendors on the internet.
For example, for Black and Decker drills:
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/blackdecker/blackdecker-7.html
One of several 18V drill motors:
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-

bin/schematic.cgi/blackdecker/CD180SK_TYPE_1
Item #15 is the motor for $8.31.

I looked up a cordless circular saw on that website. I had hoped that
a cordless circular saw would have a longer shaft. If that circular
saw was typical, at least now I know better. Makes sense that a motor
shaft intended to do work has a gear stuck to it (or maybe a bevel).

I need to connect the motor shaft to a 5/16" diameter rod. I might try
finding/buying some steel tubing with an outer diameter of 5/16"
(maybe from McMaster), then machine the drill shaft/gear down to the
inner diameter of that 5/16" steel rod, and then roughen the outer and
inner surfaces, and then glue them together. At least that's probably
better than the last way I stuck a roller to the cordless drill motor
shaft. Just need to keep the metal sawdust out of the motor.

Thanks to the replies.

Try using a shaft coupler. You can probably get one from an industrial
supply outlet for minimal cost.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m