Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default Can portable radiators be repaired?

"DemoDisk" wrote:\

In the past few years, we've accumulated five oil-filled radiators to
heat our very small house. The alternative is a gas "furnace" that was
installed when the house was built over fifty years ago. HUGE money
waster!

Two of the rollable oil-filled radiators have simply quit for no reason
I know of. Has anyone here diagnosed and repaired one of these units?
And Is it worth the trouble? I'd like to, if it's easy/cheap enough,
rather than buying yet another pair of them.

Of the four I have fixed, three had the switches go bad, while one had a
fusible link go bad. I've yet to find one that had the elements go bad.

Oh, and I always snip the plug off and put on a heavier duty one; they all
get pretty soft after an extended use, some with exciting consequences (I
don't know how the hell they can get away with those things).

Jon