Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default The Impotance Of Being Earnest

On Oct 1, 10:38*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote:
Alright - I'm done for now. *It is just that the little things add
up
and make a difference about how you feel about a room, a building,
or
an element. *You can create rhythm and harmony in a room or house by
following certain principles and those spaces will be a greater joy
their occupants than the typical slapdash bull**** that goes on in
this business.

OK, you've had a chance to vent your spleen and I have a couple of
questions.

As a rookie, how many times did you get your ass kicked for screwing
up, until you learned this skill and how to use it properly?

At 58, how many years have you been able to hone this skill acquired
as a rookie?

It would appear you were hired to teach your skills to what is
basically a metal working crew.

So quit bitch'in and start teaching which is probably as difficult as
acquiring your skills in the first place.

Nobody ever claimed teaching was easy.

Have fun.

Lew

You're right, Lew. I was venting.

I actually think this is going to be an interesting project.

The metal guys are so used to just seeing just parts level stuff that
my first thing is going to be insisting on a full set of drawings
being made available to the wood shop. By which I mean something that
includes assembly drawings. I believe that a mechanic feels better
when he sees where he is going and how what he is making fits into the
whole project.

An interesting problem is that the detailers are metal detailers and
don't think like wood guys.

I had a drawing today of louvers that were drawn plan view with the
louvers in situ - parts drawings for millwork have to be done on the
flat. We don't really give a damn about orientation at the drawing
level.

I reckon we'll sort this out.

t.