Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nmbexcuse@hotmail.com is offline

Default Custom wood door frame

On Oct 1, 4:45*pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
I have an exterior door, well actually it's not an exterior door that
opens to the interior, but an exterior door that opens into a
courtyard, so basically it's exposed to the weather on both sides.

The problem is the bottom of this door is too long, it can open half
way and it will be stucked due to the uneveness of the mexican tiled
floor. *I attempted to remove the door and cut it shorter and attach a
metal door bottom ...

However I just noticed due to the door bottom having direct contact
with the floor for 36 years, the bottom of that door is basically
rotted a bit - it's mushy.

I think the least expensive approach is for me to remove the bottom
part of the wood door frame, and replace it. *However, I cannot find
suitable lumber. *The door is 1-3/4" thick, which is thicker than the
typical 2x4s. *Is there any source for lumber with "standard door
thickness"?

I see no logical reason whatever for the weather seal in such an
application; definitely dump it.

Picture of the door and sill/frame would have been far more useful.

First, what is the wood used originally? *Matching would be a good thing
(tm), more than likely.

In that area I'd guess cypress would have been a likely choice--you can
get lumber from hardwood/"real" lumber yards but not the Borgs.

If treated were acceptable for the appearance, you can always start w/ a
larger piece and cut it down, of course -- do you know what the actual
dimensions of the existing sill are?

I'd also look into treating the door w/ one of the rot stabilizing epoxy
products but a specific product/treatment would depend on more specific
information about the door than you've provided.

In the end, though, if the door is too long it should be trimmed so it
doesn't drag. *As noted before, I can't imagine why there would be any
disadvantage to there being an inch or so gap at the bottom in that
application.

--
In that area you'll definitely

I need to have some sort of a weather strip because the entire
courtyard is screened in so no mosquitoes and no-see-ums will not come
through. Yes, otherwise I could live with the gap.

Door is painted so finish is not a problem I will have to repaint the
entire door anyways.

Thanks,

MC