Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Use Urethane Polymer (FloMix) on a Slopping Driveway?

If the pieces of asphalt are moving because of unstable material under them,
or because the traffic is heavier than normal, the cracks will reappear no
matter what you use to fill them. Once you have filled them with one type of
material that doesn't work, using another type in the crack in addition to
the failed material will not make it work.

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 9:53 pm, Jay Chan wrote:
I want to know if I can use urethane polymer (such as FloMix) to
repair cracks in an asphaltdrivewaythat is not on a level group.

I have many cracks at the bottom of an asphaltdrivewaywhere
thedrivewaymeets the roadway. I have tried using those crack filling
material in a bottle or in a tube. None works well. I put them in
early fall, and then I would see cracks re-developing in the following
year. I need a better material to fix the cracks.

I see that there is a different product called urethane polymer that
is supposed to last very long and is pourable. This is good. But
when I watch the instruction video on that product in YouTube, I find
that the product seems to be very watery -- like leveling compound. I
am wondering how I can use it on a surface that is not very level --
like where mydrivewaymeets the roadway -- I think there is a 20-
degree slope on that part of thedriveway. Is it going to flow away
from mydrivewayinto the roadway? According to the manufacturer FAQ,
the material is too flowable and won't hold shape for building up a
speed bump. But they didn't mention anything about not being able to
be poured onto a ramp. I would like to know if other people may have
used this product and what their experience are regarding applying it
in a ramp.

Thanks in advance for any information.

JayChan

Thanks for everyone who have replied. I end up didn't use urethane
polymer because it is quite costly (and I had too many cracks) and it
seems like too runny to be applied on slope where the driveway meets
the road where most of the cracks are. I used regular driveway patch
(a kind of paste) to patch the cracks and then used regular sealer to
blend in everything. The driveway "looks" very nice now.

I will see how the patches work by next spring to see how well they
will do in the cold winter. If the cracks open up again, I will use
urethane polymer. I am pretty sure some cracks will open up. I am
just betting that the cracks will be small and far between. Then the
runny property of urethane polymer will become very useful for filling
up the small cracks. Hopefully, this will prevent the small cracks
from getting big.

Thanks again for people who have offered their advices.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan