Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing - Brown Paper Bag After Dye?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:00:23 -0700, charlieb wrote:

So I'm wondering if a going over the dyed surfaces with brown
paper bag paper will avoid getting fine sawdust in the grain that's
tough to get out and cut down on the need for more coats of
finish?

Charlie, what I usually do is raise the grain with water and sand. Then I
apply 2 or 3 thin coats of 2 lb cut dewaxed shellac with a pad. Then I
mix the dye with the shellac and apply one or two coats. After that I go
back and apply several more clear coats, somewhere between 4 and 8
depending on how energetic I feel. I let that sit for at least a week,
two is better, and wet sand lightly, using mineral spirits with 1500 grit
paper. Then, while it's still wet, I give it a couple of swipes with 0000
steel wool.

Not all that different than what you described except for the extra coats
after the dye.

So far I haven't noticed any fading, but most of my stuff is small boxes
and the like which don't see a lot of direct sunshine.