Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default New indicator

On 2008-10-01, Michael Koblic wrote:

big snip

But you probably don't really need to do this. Just learn to
live with your 3-jaw chuck, or get a 4-jaw and learn to set it properly
when (and only when) you need the accuracy.

Thank you Don and Jim.

In my case it is more about understanding the concepts than about immediate
practical application. I am getting a better grasp.

One final question: Grinding - does it damage a chuck or is it mainly the
ways and the bed you have to be careful about? I was thinking it was almost
inevitable for the grinding dust to get inside the chuck and causing
mischief there. I am talking about grinding things clamped in the chuck
rather than doing the chuck itself as Don suggested.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC