Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

On Oct 1, 9:47*am, spaco wrote:
For a cheap quick bending brake, make one from a piece of angle iron.
Example: *You need to make approx 90° bends in a sheet that's 2 feet wide---
Take 6 feet of 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" X 1/4" angle iron. *Cut out one leg of
the middle foot. *Now make a "hairpin" shape, heating (with a torch) and
bending that center section into a loop. *This give you the basic brake..
Pete Stanaitis

I clamped together a similar one from two 40" lengths of channel, ][.
The sheet goes between the pieces with the bend line along one side.
It wasn't neat enough for painted aluminum window trim so I rebuilt
the channel into a brake. Then I found a real Tapco to borrow.

Hammering on the flange tends to expand it slightly and it may be
visibly curved after you unclamp it. It helps to have an extra
practice piece or two.