Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default 3 TPI Acme thread

Paul K. Dickman laid this down on his screen :
"Wayne" wrote in message
A friend at work has a wine press which needs some help. The internal
threads of a piece that moves up and down on an acme thread are damaged.
I've been unsuccesful at getting him to bring it so I can measure it.
Through other methods it appears to be 1.25 x 3 TPI (or possibly
M32 x 8.5). I haven't been able to find any sources for any acme
nuts of that size. The lowest the my lathe will go is to 4 TPI.
It will also do 6 or 9 TPI.
Is there anyway to fudge a 3 TPI?

Wayne D.

Once you actually measure it, on the odd chance that it matches, I have a 1
1/8-3 lh acme unitap laying around.

You are welcome to borrow it.

If it doesn't match, good luck anyway.

Paul K. Dickman

Wouldn't it be great if that was the size then? At least 3 tpi exists
somewhere. I've only done an external single point thread once, with
a couple of practice pieces prior. It was done in plastic for the
bathtub drain plug. I was a 1" 20 TPI plug, which I couldn't find
anywhere.
The only internal tapping I've done is with taps.

Wayne D.