Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Kunkel John Kunkel is offline

Default OT - shrink fit piston wrist pin - connecting rod

wrote in message
I need to reinstall a new piston on an existing rod. The wrist pin is
a shrink fit in the rod end. I pressed the wrist pin out of the rod
using my 30T press w/ no problems but I have been told that I need to
heat the rod end prior to attempting to insert the wrist pin. I have
been told to heat (w/ torch) to just the beginnig of "straw color".
How risky is this, am I better off dropping the parts off at a local
automotive machine shop for them to use an oven to heat the rod end?

No need to heat the rod if you use a good lubricant and properly support the
piston while pressing.

I use Goodson's lubricant when pressing pins:

http://www.goodson.com/store/templat...l.php?IID=5091