Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Pointing Accrington brickwork.

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
JTM wrote:

When I were a lad,

Pointing Nori brick was done with what looked like red sand mixed with oil.
There might have been other stuff in the mix- idon't know. One slight
drawback was that the oil (linseed I believe) was popular with the sparrows
who seemed to find it very palatable

Are you sure you aren't thinking of "red raddle", which was a
decorative treatment used to colour the bricks and/or mortar?

The bricks should be pointed with lime mortar. Treating afterwards
with red raddle is optional. ;-)

Red raddle. A red pigment used to mark sheep / red iron ore.

Might be I recall that the dryish morter like stuff went into the joints
and stood proud when finished. Definitely the joints and not the brick
face. Accy Nori brick is often shiny anyway

John