Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default How do you sharpen your tools?

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:59:04 -0400, "StephenM"
wrote:

Steve...
I'm thinking that my Tru-grind is pretty much typical?

I have a block of wood at the base of my grinder that's something like 2" from
the edge of the table.. It's whatever Tru-grind suggests..
I put the gouge in the jig loosely, line it up with the table/block and
tighten..
Next step is, (before you turn the grinder on), to put the jig and tool in the
grinding position and see if the bevel is hitting the wheel at the right angle..

Sounds like a PITA, but it becomes automatic and only takes about a minute..

I have a related question:

I use the woodcraft slow grinder with a home made jig based on Darrel's
design. It works well, except:

When I go back to touch up an edge and reload my gouge into the holder, you
have to attach the holder part of the jig to the exact same spot on the
shaft of the gauge, or the geometry of the bevel changes, requiring removal
of more material than otherwise necessary.

It does not appear as though commercial jigs are immune to this problem. Is
this true and have anyone found any tricks to mitigate this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I use an 80 grit aluminum oxide wheel in a regular grinder and a home made
jig. The white wheels are aluminum oxide in a very friable matrix and they
wear too fast for my taste. With a jig and high speed steel tools a low
speed grinder is not necessary (boy am I going to get flack for that one).
There is nothing wrong with most cheap tools. Just look for M2 HSS or
better. You can see my setup at http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html

Darrell

--
¼á
"Ted" wrote in message
Several years ago I bought the same grinder that Mac has. I am on my
second 120 grit wheel. The price is right and it works great. I also
use the Wolverine system. For grinding my fingernail bowl gouges I
have adapted the Ellsworth jig using a riser block in the Wolverine
cradle. This small block brings the pivot point to the correct height
on an 8 inch grinding wheel. Works for me.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing