Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso Alexander Thesoso is offline

Default What is it? Set 252

1423 Guess: Steam powered water pump. Could be an air compressor. The
wood and brass things suggest coverings for lagging/insulation around steam
cylinders. The two different sizes of black pipes connecting the two
cylinders suggest double expansion. The first picture seems to show a
crankshaft mechanism to operate a non-insulated cylinder that has a rather
large open pipe connection on the front. OK... I'll go with water pump.

1426 Guess, and not even a good/complete one... The cylinders being movable,
but constrained, suggest some type of friction/sprag clutch, but there is no
visible ramp/cam mechanism to force them inwards. Also there is no wear
pattern, or mechanical input/output force transfer structure. I'll still
guess part of sprag clutch mechanism.

1428 Guess: Air photo flash/shutter timer. Ground speed range suggests an
airplane. Discrete count setting suggests a few events, such as dropping
flares or taking pictures. The 12-volts, though, seems strange; I'd expect
24. Yes, there were flashes used for some WWII photo missions. Yes, I
understand that almost always flashes don't work at any distance.

"Rob H." wrote in message
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob