Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing - Brown Paper Bag After Dye?

On Sep 30, 11:00*pm, charlieb wrote:

SNIP of explanation

Anyone tried it for this application?

charlie, I do a lot of finishing. Here's my take on this, and you can
take it for exactly what it cost you! ;^)

I don't like Transtint. It fades and can fade fast. I don't
understand why that is, but I know light is its enemy. I have talked
to enough furniture refinishers and makers to know that won't be my
way. A large cabinet or table is bound to be in some kind of light in
its life.

I use Behlen's Solar Lux and love it. I have not had anything I have
used it on fade. That being said, I have my own method of
application.

I spray it. I use a tiny 1mm cap (nozzle/needle if high pressure) and
I cut it with 50 - 75% solution with anhydrous alcohol and mist it on
the project. No shellac needed as a base coat, no problems with over
absorbtion as there is a thin even coat of dye going on the surface.
It could try to pull more in, but there isn't a rag or brush to act as
a reservoir to pull the additional dye into the rougher or more porous
grain.

I spray a classic classic 2 coat crossing pattern to make sure I get a
good even coat. You only need to wait 20 minutes before you are ready
to go again.

Then I spray the finish on. I have done this with lacquer many, many
times (the results are phenomenal) and under polyurethane as well.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert