Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Electric motor on KBC mill

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Vernon
wrote:

Today I began taking inventory of some of the other 3 phase stuff I've
bought over the years. What happened was this. There was a time I
thought that getting 3 phase service to me was imminent. Then the
electric company threw me a curve ball. That's why I happen to have
this stuff.

There are a few tricks you can still try - Are you in a single
family house with two or more stories and a handicapped occupant or
frequent visitor? Or one that wants to be a frequent visitor? Or a
small farm or rural property with a private water well? (And you're
willing to sink some serious money on an upgrade...)

For safety reasons you really need 3-Phase power to make sure that
larger well pump or elevator pump/traction motor always starts in the
right direction, you should have better luck getting real utility
3-phase for a Well Service or an Elevator Service - compared to "I
want to run big machine tools at my house" which you've already found
ranges from 'frowned upon' to 'Verboten!'

You just have to refrain from volunteering any information when they
ask why you need a 200A 3-Ph service for a 40A well pump or a 60A
elevator machine. You just say you got a great deal on a New Old
Stock (or used) 200A service that was far cheaper than a new 100A
service.

Memorize: "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it." Then wink.

(But allow the power company Service Planner to see what's hiding
under the tarps in the garage, they do have to make sure the service
transformer they place is big enough.)

And even then, it might take multiple tries to make it happen, as
you figure out ways to go around the roadblocks and find a sympathetic
ear at the County Building & Safety and Local Power Utility levels.

Never give up, Never give up that ship! ;-P Or the corollary:
"Always look on the bright side of life..."

-- Bruce --