Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage heater kit for fridge?

On Tue 30 Sep 2008 09:17:47a, told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

How cold do you plan on keeping the kitchen?

I kept it 36 F one year.

That's beyond my comprehension.

It's easy to do with the kitchen off the back of my house. With 2'
stone walls (C ~ 50 Btu/F-ft^2) inside R10 insulation and RC = 500
hours, the kitchen temp changes slowly.

Starting at 36 F, it would cool to 30+(36-30)e^-(24h/500h) = 35.7 over
an average 30 F January day. Leaving the kitchen door to the rest of
the house open for a few minutes a day makes up for that cooling.

With the door to the rest of the house closed, it would cool from 36 to
32 in -500ln((32-30)/(36-30)) = 549 hours, ie 23 days.

Being able to do it is not beyond my comprehension. Why anyone would
really want to do it is beyond my comprehension.

Pity.

I can't imagine anyone else in the civilized world wanting to do this.
Most would probably find this a very uncomfortable situation at best.

You are not saving siginficant energy, since to be able to use the
kitchen you're robbing other parts of the house of its heat which has to
be compensated for each time you do it.

Au contraire, the fridge uses less energy in a cool room, and the room
itself needs less heat if it's cooler on average.

Are you doing this to save money or as just a weird experiment?

As to where to find what you're looking for, I have no idea.

Danfoss sells $24 freezer stats...

Then you've found your answer.

--
Wayne Boatwright