Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper error "Err 05"

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:13:56 -0500, Ignoramus28941

On 2008-09-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:12:23 -0500, Ignoramus28941

On 2008-09-29, Ignoramus24410 wrote:
My Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper is refusing to work and says "Err 05".
Would anyone have any idea what this may mean?

Coin cell (battery) low?

definitely not. I tried a new battery.

Dirty scale (just wipe it clean along the whole length).

Need to remove the coin cell, turn it "on" to discharge it
totally, let it sit for a few minutes, then re-insert the (fresh)
coin cell. Sometimes, bouncing contacts when installing the battery can
confuse the tiny little CPU in the thing and letting it go to sleep to
forget what had happened is the easiest way to clear it.

does not help

I don't have a manual with mine, or I would try looking up the
error code. If you have the manual for yours -- you could try that.

I bought this caliper 14 years ago at a pawn shop in Oklahoma. No
manual either.

Think you got your moneys worth yet?

Most definitely. It served me faithfully for these years, and cost
just $20.

Then put it in a nice little shadowbox, drape it in black crepe and
put a RIP-2008 plate on it, and get another one. They are cheap and
frankly ...disposable.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich