Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:01:47 -0700, the renowned Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:25:01 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

So it seems that all the itty bitty iron working machines from Enco,
Horror Freight, and Wholesale tools top out at 20 gauge mild steel. I
don't know why this is a magic number, but there it is. I may just
spring for one, knowing that I'll be abusing it by cutting thicker
material, but I hate doing that.

Without jumping up from $200 to $2000, is there a tool that will make a
nice straight cut in a 1/16" sheet of mild aluminum?

Why not buy a used shear?

Near California? Ill sell you a 52" hydraulic Pexto shear for $800.

Gunner

This sounds like a really good deal.

Shears are quiet, quick, generally leave edges you can leave as-is,
and the bits left behind are relatively pleasant compared to the
alternatives (no metal cuttings flying around to short things out).

BTW, shears cut like scissors, one end of the blade starts to cut
first, so the peak force required does not increase with cutting width
(beyond a few inches). That's why clamping is important.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany