Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Solar

Sac Dave wrote:
I'm thinking of going to solar to offset high PG&E cost. We went to
home show and talked to a few solar contractors . But I would like to
hear from people that actually have solar. I just know the basic and the
amount of panels they can install has a lot to do with your savings.

I am not in California and don't have solar, but judging from the
experience of one of my friends who bought a house with a pre-existing
solar system in northern California, going solar is at best a wash.

He mentioned that the cost to replace some of his panels was so high
that he decided to go back to the grid.

Unless the house is built with energy efficiency in mind solar won't be
much help, IMO.

As others suggested you could be better off finding out where you use
too much energy and taking action. I have a smaller place, about 2000
sqft in SO Texas and have lowered my electric bill from $350 to $220
per month with a few targeted and inexpensive changes, and there is
still room for improvement.