Posted to alt.home.repair
MS MS is offline

Default Turning on the ceiling fan started tripping the breaker

Exactly what it says. We bought the house in February. Fan and light
worked fine. In the beginning of August, the breaker would trip every
time we turned the switch. I've taken the light fixture off the fan
to check for a short, nothing visible. I've taken the fan off the
ceiling and check for a short or bad connection, nothing visible.
I've opened the switch box on the wall, nothing visible. I went into
the attic to check for signs of rats or other varmints eating the
wires, nothing visible.

My first inclination is to replace the switch. Replace the fan if the
switch isn't the problem. Then call an electrician if the fan isn't
the problem.

Any advice?