Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Hiding aggregate in concrete pour

"fourrings" wrote in message
Vibrating during pour sounds like the ticket. I'll have to wait and
see the results. Thank you both!

I will however need to reconsider the melamine choice as I'm not
looking for a glass-smooth surface. The goal is having a surface to
the like of 1000 grit sandpaper: smooth, yet not glossy. Any
suggestions?

it was smooth and flat, but not glossy. i used a handheld sander with
diamond pads up to 3000 grit, then a couple different grades of buffs and
finally polish to get them reflective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaniarts/2359619331/

i doubt melamine will get you to a 1000 grit finish because it has some
roughness to it. you may have to hand finish the molds or the concrete to
get that smooth.

as others have said, do a couple 1' square samples using different mixes,
different amounts of vibration. you might even want to polish the melamine
with a hand sander. go easy with the sander, use very high grits and some
sort of dust extraction, as it's not a very thick layer of melamine. don't
breath the dust.