Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker DLT Steve Barker DLT is offline

Default Insulation question

23.625

arrived at that figure by dividing 30 by 9.5 and getting about 3.15
then divided 19 by 6 and got about 3.15
then multiplied 7.5 times 3.15

"jtpr" wrote in message
On Sep 30, 10:00 am, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
No, you are correct. 7.5 inches is greater than 6.

steve

You still can't load the bottom chord of a truss however. Are they
trusses,
or conventional rafters and ceiling joists with support poles?

"jtpr" wrote in message

I'm missing the math, but this is a garage with 2x8 rafters spanning
19'. I will be putting R30 (9.5") up there and if I do put some
plywood on top for a little storage it will compress it to 7.5". So
it sounds like even with the compression I'm better off then the
alternative of R19.

Am I off base?

-Jim

They are conventional rafters and ceiling joists, 16" OC 19' span. I
know I'm being thick, but given my example of compressing R30 by 2.5",
what do I end up with?

-Jim