Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Keeping things from freezing

On Sep 29, 9:26*am, Richard Evans wrote:
I live in North Carolina where winters are mild.
[ unheated outbuilding ] ... I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

You can simply insulate the paint closet, but it's more effective if
you also use a heat sink (like, is the floor a concrete slab?) to
extend the time before the temperature drops too low.
That means a low box is better than a tall closet.

Sheetrock/tubafour/fiberglass insulation like a house will
suffice for a warm box. Insulate a lid and weatherstrip where
it rests.

I'd consider a terrarium heater in the 30 watt range to be a
suitable backup heater. It includes a thermostat (set it low,
of course), and the heater has decades of useful life, as
compared to 750 hours of life for an incandescent lamp.

None of your liquids are pure water, they ARE safe at
freezing point, only at lower temperatures will they actually
crystallize.