Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:16:56 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:25:01 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Initially I think I'm going to buy a $20 brake from Horror Freight and
use a reciprocating saw to cut out the panels, then use a file and elbow
grease to clean up the cut.

For bends not more than a few inches, you can get by with some bits of
hardwood, a vise and a mallet. I've made lots of elex boxes and
chasses out of 1/16" ally (16-gage) with neither a brake nor a shear.

=========
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk...al/sheetm.html
see
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/sheetmetal/index.html
and build your own brake, etc.

also see
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/slip/index.html
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/pipe/index.html
and
http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/ind...ewtopic&p=3520

The brake is no problem to build, but I can't argue with $20 from Harbor
Freight when I'm going to be driving right by it tomorrow.

The shear is stumping me for the moment, although I think I can work
around it at the cost of more time, until I either convince myself that
I need to pony up to get one, or I can afford to buy sheared blanks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services