Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:25:01 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

So it seems that all the itty bitty iron working machines from Enco,
Horror Freight, and Wholesale tools top out at 20 gauge mild steel. I
don't know why this is a magic number, but there it is. I may just
spring for one, knowing that I'll be abusing it by cutting thicker
material, but I hate doing that.

Without jumping up from $200 to $2000, is there a tool that will make a
nice straight cut in a 1/16" sheet of mild aluminum?

Why not buy a used shear?

Near California? Ill sell you a 52" hydraulic Pexto shear for $800.

That's a good deal for what it is, but I'm not $800 sure that I'm on the
right track -- I'll spend time dressing my cuts with a file until I am,
and maybe I'll call if I think I'm going in the right direction.

It's not worth a special trip down to LA from PDX, but by June I should
know, and my brother will most likely be down for the Roadster Show. I
may get in touch with you then, he could easily toss it on his trailer.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services