Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Cutting Sheet -- Was I asking the wrong question?

I like nibblers but they are slow, noisy and operator dependent for quality,
but a plasma cutter works a treat with a guide and a little practice. It
induces very minimal heat and will cut an almost perfect edge that only
light sanding with a flap disk makes perfect and it is fast. I just bought a
very light, 40 amp inverter plasma torch and love it. It uses wall power and
compressed air and you can carry it around on your shoulder.
Steve

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
OK, so I'm looking for a low-ball shear, because I want to cut out some
panels, make one cruddy right angle bend in each one and drill some holes,
and assemble them into a 'U' shape. I'm starting to think that this'll be
cheaper to do in house than to farm out, particularly at first when I'm
making little engineering changes on every part made.

So it seems that all the itty bitty iron working machines from Enco,
Horror Freight, and Wholesale tools top out at 20 gauge mild steel. I
don't know why this is a magic number, but there it is. I may just spring
for one, knowing that I'll be abusing it by cutting thicker material, but
I hate doing that.

Without jumping up from $200 to $2000, is there a tool that will make a
nice straight cut in a 1/16" sheet of mild aluminum?

Initially I think I'm going to buy a $20 brake from Horror Freight and use
a reciprocating saw to cut out the panels, then use a file and elbow
grease to clean up the cut.

Can a power nibbler ($50 from Harbor Freight) make a straight cut, or will
it be a waste of $$?

Your opinions, please.

Thanks.

--