Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default How do you sharpen your tools?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:32:57 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?

I have a high speed grinder with white wheels, 80 and 120 grit...
I'm waiting for my new grinder to get here, this one:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

It was on sale last month for $85 and an additional $15 coupon was offered..
That pretty much translated to buying 2 new wheels (which I needed) and getting
a free grinder..

I use the Tru-grind jig for most everything but skews and scrapers, but it will
do those too..
http://tinyurl.com/3qn66p

The old grinder is my wife's, so I've put up with a high speed grinder for years
as the price was right... But the deal on the Woodcraft grinder was too good to
pass up..

She also has a 1" x 42" belt sander/grinder, which I use for all my scrapers..
I leave the table set to the angle I sharpen the scrapers, so I can just walk up
and give them a quick pass and be back turning..

As to the cheap tools, I use a lot of them.. I buy $25 bowl gouges and go
through a couple a year...
Cheap or expensive, they only work well if you have a good edge and keep it
sharp..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing