Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper error "Err 05"

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:41:26 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:34:51 -0500, Ignoramus24410
wrote:

My Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper is refusing to work and says "Err 05".
Would anyone have any idea what this may mean?

Ayup..it cant read the scale any longer.

Its the equivelent of the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death.

Ive got 4 Mitys in the junk box that all have that error.

Means the circuit board is toast and it costs almost $60 for Mity to
replace it, based on 2 estimates from Mity in Los Angeles

Meanwhile, the H.F. caliper for $15.99 on sale works every bit as
well. I have both and I do not see any functional difference between
them. I've done a few comparisons, never saw any disagreements in
measurement.

The Mitutoyo may be made of better steel: forged in many layers like
fine pastry, quenched in blood and tested by cutting randomly-found
whores from asshole to appetite.