Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default "Flash of Genius" movie

On 28 Sep 2008 02:36:04 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-09-27, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

The intermittent windshield wiper became practical when SCRs
(Silicon Controlled Rectifiers) or power transistors and circuits like
the 555 timer chip became inexpensive enough.

(...)

I think the advent of the intermittent wiper and that of
cheap, high power semiconductors is largely a coincidence.
I do agree they were a match made in heaven regarding cost and
reliability.

Indeed.

Heck, if they had though of it, the folks in Detroit *could've*
made an 'intermittent' wiper control with a modified turn signal
blinker relay as early as 1926!

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in.../windwiper.htm

Intersting. I would have sworn that all were vacuum powered at
that time -- but apparently I just neve looked at a high-end car from
that period -- or at least not with the idea of examining the windshield
wiper motor. I do know that the vacuum-operated ones were really nasty,
as when you were accelerating (and thus needed them most) they would
slow to a crawl. :-)

Unless you had a double acting fuel pump which gave vacuum for the
wipers as well as pumping fuel. Common on the last Chevies to use vac
wipers, as well as some AMC cars.
What combination of parts (within your easy reach) will
be a revolutionary design feature *41 years from today*?

I don't know -- yet. For that matter it may be something which
I have made and just take for granted, and nobody else knows about. :-)

If you demonstrate it Monday afternoon, you will be a genius.

You can bet your bottom someone will come along on Tuesday
morning and call it 'obvious'.

:-)

Obvious to me, at least. :-)

I do have a few patents (with the government having free access
to them, because I was working for the government at that time, and they
paid for the processing of the patents. :-) I considered each to be
obvious to *me* at least - since I was the one who thought of them.

Enjoy,
DoN.