Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Hiding aggregate in concrete pour

charlie wrote:

"fourrings" wrote in message
I'm unable to find any information pertaining to "floating" concrete
when it is poured into a form. My ultimate goal is to hide all coarse
aggregate from all surfaces when poured into a mold. I plan to use
melamine surface for the mold.

So far, I've come up with two alternatives: Only use sand as
aggregate and option two is to pour standard concrete mix and then
after braking mold, cover all surfaces with mortar mix. While I plan
to have a rebar skeleton, I'm unsure of sand-only concrete strength.
And option two is not ideal as I'd like to bypass additional steps
post mold braking, if possible.

What I'm making are table legs that will be about 6"x3"x40". Surface
finish I'm looking for is similar to this --
http://www.cgmprecast.com/images/picnic_table_leg.jpg.

TIA,
Dennis

i formed some concrete countertops using melamine as a form just using a
high strength sack mix. i formed them upside down so that the surface
against the bottom melamine was the top surface after flipping. i didn't
have any aggregate showing in either the sides or tops. i think the trick
was to vibrate the concrete when the mold was half filled, and then again
after it was full.

Perhaps spray or pour and tumble a coating of cement only slurry to coat
the form and let it set a bit before pouring the regular cement in to
finish the pour. A bit like fiberglass with the "gel coat" they spray on
the mold before they spray the fiberglass.