Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Just had a thought about surge suppressors...

On Sep 26, 9:15*am, w_tom wrote:
On Sep 25, 2:34*pm, N8N wrote:

*I do have a ground block at the entry point of the cable,
bonded to the breaker box ground, and also a whole housesurge
suppressor at the panel. *However, even with that in place, I still
lost a circuit board in my dishwasher, a couplesurgestrips, and a
power supply for my whole house air filter last year during a storm.
(I've since added some small point of usesurgeprotectors at several
places throughout the house, although I'm not sure what I really could
do about the dishwasher or other hardwired appliances like the
stove.) *

* Those "couplesurgestrips" did what no protector must do - failed.

I "fail" to see how that is bad - apparently an overvoltage got
through my whole house protector (according to the power company, in
their nice "GFY" form letter, a high voltage line was knocked into a
low voltage one by a falling tree, neatly bypassing the transformer,
so it must have been a big jolt) and the surge strips shut themselves
down rather than pass through the overvoltage to the equipment
connected to them. The more recent surge strips that I've purchased
(I don't ever buy simple power strips; I figure if I need a power
strip I'm probably going to have enough stuff plugged into it that
surge protection might be a good idea, esp. for interconnected
appliances like a rack of stereo equipment, computer peripherals,
etc.) have a warranty where if you keep all your paperwork the mfgr.
will replace the strip if this happens; as it was the ones that failed
were all ancient (one had a date code in the late 90's) and still and
all I'd rather spend $30 or so on a new one rather than have to
replace the equipment connected to it. If I see a storm developing I
do go around and switch off and/or unplug all the surge strips that
aren't powering "mission critical" equipment as well, but in this case
the incident happened at the very beginning of a storm, while I was
away from home, so I didn't have the chance to do that.

nate

(BTW I have no idea what happened to the spaces in my previous
message...)