Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for remote control 13A plugs ...

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:
In article ,
Jethro writes:
I want to be able to power-cycle my loft based PC ... anyone know of a
good reliable remote control plug ?

What about just extending the front panel power and reset
push-button switches to a parallel set in the room below?
They are just low voltage signals, not mains level switching
(assuming an ATX or later PC, i.e. a Pentium or later).

Another thing -- my loft gets up to just shy of 50C when the
Sun shines on it in the middle of summer. That's well over
what I would be comfortable running a PC at. (I do have some
low power microcontroller based electronics in the loft, but
that doesn't generate enough power to get hotter than the
ambient temperature, which is OK. I do also have a fan to
keep the loft cool, but it doesn't make much of a dent in
the kW's the sun pumps into it.)

I have thought about running a PC in the loft. If I did, I'd
either build a box which was cooled by drawing cooler air
from the rooms below or outdoor north side, or I'd work out
how to duct such air directly into the PC case. Another
option would be to fit much more powerful fans (noise
doesn't matter much up there), but 50C is pushing it even
for this -- I keep my server disks running at about 34C,
and at over 50C, their average life would only be a fraction
of that at 34C.

--
Andrew Gabriel