Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Source for remote control 13A plugs ...

Jethro wrote:

I want to be able to power-cycle my loft based PC ... anyone know of a
good reliable remote control plug ?

Maplin are doing a set of 4 for £25 at the moment -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...-6&T=-11755906

I have some similar ones (not the same make, but the same principle) which
work ok - including through ceilings. [I have an outside light which is fed
from a socket in a bedroom, and I can turn it on and off from the lounge
below, using the remote control].

The problem you're likely to have with these things is that there's no
feedback - so unless you can actually *see* the effect of turning something
on and off (like I can with my outside light), you can't be 100% sure that
it's actually *done* it. Although the ones I've got work pretty well, I
occasionally have to press the button more than once to get them to operate
when the socket is hidden behind furniture.
--
Cheers,
Roger