Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default drill a hole in a knife blade?

On Sep 28, 2:31*pm, Clark Magnuson wrote:
I carried a Buck knife for 10 years that had:
a) light weight plastic handle
b) folding
c) locking
d) belt clip
e) one hand operation
f) some serrations on blade

Then I lost it last week.
They don't make them anymore.
So I found a Buck 442 knife in new old stock on Ebay.
But that knife has no thumb button on the blade.

I have put thumb buttons on blades that already have a button hole.
I just screw two 4-40 nuts on an Allen head set screw and grind to fit.

So now I would want to drill a 1/8" hole in some kind of hard stainless
blade is .120" thick.

Can I just buy a carbide drillhttp://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=19499330&PMAK...
or ahttp://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=19499426&PMAK...

and drill a hole at 700 r.p.m with no coolant or cutting oil or annealing?

TIA

Smokey mountain knives used to carry a thumb stud that clamped on with
a screw. You might be able to find one or make one.
Karl