Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default drill a hole in a knife blade?

Clark Magnuson wrote:
I carried a Buck knife for 10 years that had:
a) light weight plastic handle
b) folding
c) locking
d) belt clip
e) one hand operation
f) some serrations on blade

Then I lost it last week.
They don't make them anymore.
So I found a Buck 442 knife in new old stock on Ebay.
But that knife has no thumb button on the blade.

I have put thumb buttons on blades that already have a button hole.
I just screw two 4-40 nuts on an Allen head set screw and grind to fit.

So now I would want to drill a 1/8" hole in some kind of hard stainless
blade is .120" thick.

Can I just buy a carbide drill
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=317-5931

or a
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=317-6027

and drill a hole at 700 r.p.m with no coolant or cutting oil or annealing?

TIA

You could spot anneal and then drill. The easy way to do that would be
to use a square cut section of drill rod the size of the hole you want.
Then run it against the spot you want to drill. The friction will heat
that spot and anneal it so you can drill it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York