Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob in Phx Bob in Phx is offline

Default hardened gear on a mild shaft

I would love to pull the gear, but its just not looking possible. as you can
see in the picture, the gear is right on top of bearing. I have not been
able to find
anything that would fit between the gear and bearing. The motor bearings are
standard off the shelf parts, but the motor housing and shaft are not.

As for the country of origin,, well its not china, nor any asian country for
that matter. The motor is a german Heinzman geared brushed hub motor. Max
volts, 24, normal amps 20, max amps 30, max torque produced 35 nm.

The workmanship inside and out is very nice. I very nice casting followed
with nice machine work. The motor is over 10 years old, but was not run
much.

if any of you get the chance to test drive an electric bike... do it.... I
promise you will be smiling when your done!!!

thanks for the tips... I am leaning towards welding.....

bob in phx

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Bob in Phx writes:

Keep using the motor until the gear is so loose that I can pry it off
and then "glue" it back on.

Likely burrs on the gear and grooves on the shaft from spinning the gear
are going to lock it on. It will take a properly fitted gear puller to
get
it off, and sometimes this means custom making such a puller. You can't
pry or hammer against the motor bearings without ruining them.

JB Well-Duh is just epoxy glue with a stupid, lying name. If steel didn't
hold up, glue with 1/20 the material strength certainly won't.

Perhaps this is a Chinese item? Improperly engineered for the actual
instantaneous torque experienced in the assembly, which has nothing to do
with the torque rating of the motor. Silk purse, sow's ear.