Posted to uk.d-i-y
RW[_4_] RW[_4_] is offline

Default OT; Ping Owain

"Owain" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
As a person of the Scottish persuasion,

I'm no that generous.

could you explain the phrase "a pint
of heavy & a wee half" or something similar - I may have misheard?
I understand its something to do with beer & whisky and the strength &
measure?

'heavy' is approx what you call Bitter. (From wikipedia):

Light (60/-) was under 3.5% abv
Heavy (70/-) was between 3.5% and 4.0% abv
Export (80/-) was between 4.0% and 5.5% abv
Wee heavy (90/-) was over 6.0% abv
(/- is read as "shilling" or "bob" as in "a pint of eighty-bob, please")

A "nip an a hauf" would be a tot of whisky and a half-pint of heavy. You
can also get "heavy shandy" and "lager shandy" if you want.

Having drunk various combinations of the latter I *much* prefer the 90/- as
a lovely drink after a few of the lighter brews.

The "Export" is available in many pubs and a little over a Session beer,
although quite drinkable.