Posted to uk.d-i-y
4CET 4CET is offline

Default Supplementary Equipotential Bonding - Bathroom (was Earth Bonding- Bathroom)

On Sep 28, 3:22*pm, John Rumm wrote:
4CET wrote:
I am fitting metal bath panels under my metal bath tub. The panels are
entireley insulated from the bath tub by a plastic frame and have a
non-conductive finish. They are fixed to the walls by wooden batons
and have no connections to anything that is conductive.

The bathroom has copper pipes and a plastic waste.

Do I need to bond these bath panels?

The question to ask yourself is, could they introduce a potential into
the bathroom? In the case of a bit of "floating" metalwork (i.e. not
connected to anything electrically) like a bath panel, that is contained
entirely within the room, then the answer is no. So as you suspected
there is no need to bond.

More detail:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng_and_Bonding

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Thanks John!

An unqualified acquaintance insisted that it is necessary, I thought
not. In fact it seemed to me that earthing isolated metalwork and
bringing it in to the system might even make things more dangerous.

Any opinons out there on that one?
(opinions from IEE members especially welcome - I read the regulation,
and John's explanation seems very straightforward by comparison) and
I have noted the spelling of batten!!