Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Best balance between cost/efficiency for Trane furnace and AC?

On Sep 28, 1:25*am, "scorpionleather" wrote:
I'm ready to replace my 20 year old 10 Seer gas furnace/AC with a full Trane
system. *I am confused by all the options (well at least I decided on the
brand), but what I'd really like to know is which units represent the best
balance between short-term cost and efficiency in the long run (especially
the AC part)? *Initially I'm thinking, maybe 15 Seer? *Living in warm
Southern CA my gas costs in the winter are low but in the summer the AC
electricity costs are very high. *Since they don't post the price of the
systems online it is a bit tricky to know ahead of time how to balance this.

Only you can figure it out based on your present and anticipated
electric rate, what you consume in Kwh, actual bids of different units
and Seer comparisons. Look at a "Seer chart" to start to figure what
you can save, you can go to maybe 19+ seer with VSDC motor and cut
your usage of electricity by maybe 65-70% that is a major savings, and
as rates are going up everywhere the payback looks even better. If you
plan on insulating a small unit could work, a load calculation and
energy audit would be smartest.