Posted to alt.home.repair
DemoDisk DemoDisk is offline

Default Need correct name of connector

"Joe" wrote in message
On Sep 26, 1:11 pm, "DemoDisk" wrote:
I'm trying to replace the defrost heater in a Whirlpool

fridge/freezer.
The calrod heater delivered yesterday has no connectors on the wire
leads, and I don't know where to get them or what to call them.

Description -- These crimp-on connectors are similar to the familiar
spade connectors, but the ends are rounded, bullet-like, to the same
diameter as the wire. They plug into the rear wall of the freezer

above
the freezer coils. Couldn't be simpler, but I never saw them before.

It always helps to know the exact name of what you're looking for,
either on the phone or on Google, so would someone tell me what

they're
called?

Thanks,
JPM

You may have real problems getting good connections. If the heater
leads are copper, you're in luck, but often calrod heater leads are
stainless steel and connectors must be welded on, or spot welded.
Reusing the old connectors then will be tricky, but a work-around is
possible with silver solder if you're desperate. A machinist would
make bullet connectors from stainless rod, drill a wire sized hole in
the part and swage the new wires into the connector. Good luck.

Joe

Whew! I hope it isn't as complicated as all that! Spending $500+ on a
whole new fridge sounds easier and safer. The connector is crimped onto
the lead, whatever its made of.

Oddly, I solved the problem twice -- almost. Someone offered a link to
RShacks website, and there was the connector. But it's not in the store.
Hmm.

Advance Auto had some... $8.00 for 10 of them. Got home and Woops! there
are only 6 in the package. Back to AAuto in the morning. I hate getting
cheated.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!
JPM