Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default wooden garage door

dpb wrote:

SteveBell wrote:

... I'm sure that they're heavy and will require a beefy
opener.

No, just appropriately-sized counter springs.

You do know that openers come with different horsepower ratings, don't
you? The reason is to handle different loads.

When the door is new and balanced, everything is peachy. You can open
the biggest door with the smallest opener. Heck, you can do it with one
finger. As the door ages and the springs weaken, the opener has to work
harder. The heavier the door, the harder it will have to work.

The obvious answer is to rebalance the door.

But no one ever rebalances a door, except maybe you and me. I have
people asking me all the time why their garage door doesn't open right.
It's because the springs need to be tightened. I tell them they can
either call a garage door company[1], or I can twiddle the adjusters on
the opener. They almost always opt for twiddling.

Thus you plan for the average person's stupidity by installing a bigger
opener.

[1]I don't mess with garage door springs. I've seen the damage they
cause when they let go. I've also pulled muscles in my back lifting
doors with loose springs. Even the cheap aluminum doors weigh a ton.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement