Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:52:52 -0700, Cheri wrote:

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

Order the kit. Call tech support on a line not connected to where you are
hooking up the modem or after installing the modem through provided
filter/duplex plug (plugged into the correct, marked outlet).

My question always is...if it's so damned easy, why is there a tech support
number for installation problems? I buy things like floor lamps, appliances
etc., and not one of them comes with tech support for plugging it in, now
that's what I call easy.:-)

Cheri

Floor lamps don't need you identify yourself before working. You don't
really want anyone in tech support to give you a user name and password.
You need to pick that out for yourself. The software that comes with your
DSL modem is not known for it's safety to your system. Better to do it
manually and if you don't know how to do that you should call tech support.
It is not all that difficult, but you can run into problems if you don't
know what the various settings do. Many times it takes longer to talk to
someone than to actually set up your system.