Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

On Sep 27, 1:14*pm, ransley wrote:
On Sep 27, 6:39*am, Mikepier wrote:

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

1500 w is 1500 w, some are made better and they heat differently but
all 1500w heaters put out 1500watts of heat. Radiant quarts heaters
dont heat the air they heat objects, which can be good and save if you
are sitting watching tv all night and have the heater facing you from
maybe 8 ft away. A convection oil filled heater mainly heats the rooms
air, tungsten element heaters with a reflector put out a combination
of radiant and convection heat. Try a 20$ unit with a decent warranty,
you may need it. Ceramic disk are just nice and small

Jeez: What's happened to our high school physics?
1500 watts is 1500 watts (Or rougly 5000 BTUs of heat).
What you or I do with it; warm room air without a fan, warm room air
and blow it around with a fan, heat a saucepan, boil a kettle, switch
on 15 100 watt light bulbs, etc. is our business.
Do that continuously for one straight hour, here at our domestic
electricity rates (your mileage may be different!) will cost us about
15 cents.
On the other hand you could sit under a 1500 watt sun-lamp for a solid
hour and burn off some of your epidermis for the same price! Sometimes
called 'tanning'.
Hence the old fashioned expression "Come here again and I'll tan your
hide!". But I digress.
If you use the 1500 watts in a Heat Pump (capital cost involved!) you
may be able to pump 'several times' that amount of heat either into,
or out of (An air cooling processcalled Air Conditioning) your
dwelling! All depending on ambient conditions and equipment
efficiencies at various temperatures.
But 1500 watts is 1500 watts whichever way you use it.
BTW a tropical fish aquarium may have a 15 watt heater. That's 100th
of a 1500 watter. The aquarium warms up and then loses heat to the
surriounding room air. So could install 100 tropical fish tanks each
with a 15 watt heater and get the same amount of heat.