Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

Phil Again wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:39:03 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I was in Lowes looking for a space heater and saw several different
1500W models. Some as little as $20, and others like the Vornado and
those upright tower heaters for like $100. Does one model heat better
than another? I thought all 1500W heaters put out the same heat.

It shouldn't be just the electrical energy the heater consumes. It
should be how well it warms the full room.

IIRC, there isn't, but there should be, a standard specification on the
BTU transferred to the room; a heat exchange efficiency rating if you
will.

Example: I have one of those oil filled heaters that looks like an old
time radiator. It just sits there, and the air right near the heater is
very warm. 3 feet away, it is slightly warm, but at 6 feet away little
usefulness. Do a Google on your Vornado, and read the hype at their web
site; it doesn't appear the Vornado just sits there.

I like the oil filled radiator style because they are silent. We have
ceiling fans in every room so they work well.

If the Vornado is very very quiet then It may be good to look into?
Otherwise it's just a fancy version of a $14.88 fan heater from WalMart.

For any heater type remember that if you just heat the air the room will
not be comfortable for very long. You must heat everything in the room
as well. furniture, walls etc.
Kevin