Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default Electric motor on KBC mill

At an internet auction a few days ago I bought a KBC bench mill. The
model is Grip-16.

The pictures neglected to show a view of the mill that is clearly
stamped "3 phase". I thought the motor was single phase because the
auction listed it as "230v". Until today, apparently in error, I
thought that 3 phase motors were 208V.

However, the KBC tools web site for this mill almost leads me to
believe that the motor can be wired for single or 3 phase.

Will somebody help me out here? A motor is either single or 3 phase
but can't be changed. Yes?

I already understand that a 3 phase machine can be operated from
single phase with a phase converter. And I may have to go in that
direction unless I can get a single phase replacement motor.

This mill was built in 1989. Since even when new it wasn't a high end
precision machine would it be prudent to check the accuracy of the X Y
table? As we get deeper into machining I'm sure I will join the quest
for split hair precision. But for now, we just wanna play.

On Monday I will call KBC and look into my options. But meanwhile,
any advice on how to logically approach the aftermath of a possibly
illogical purchase will be appreciated.

Regards and thanks,

Vernon