Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default replacing AC

On Sep 26, 3:39*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"trailer" wrote in message
My house was built in 70s and I have added insulation in the attic. *It
has
about 2200 sq ft living area. * My highest electric bill this summer was
$350 (electric only).

Is it worth replacing the AC and/or the furnace with new units? *Depending
on the costs, I would strongly consider upgrading the SEER.

Thanks.

Run the numbers. Since your house has additional insulation, it may be
possible to get the same or more comfort with a smaller unit. *You need to
find a competent installer that can properly size (Manual J) the unit and
figure operating cost comparisons. *We don't *know your climate or your
electric rate so we can't decide for you.

OTOH, if it breaks it is probably not worth investing a lot of money in
repairs. *At least you'll be ready to make the right choice if it does.

I have to totally agree with Ed. I usually do. Any good
installer will do the numbers (Manual J) and can give a an reasonable
accurate answer. Local conditions mean a lot in this situation, so
anyone outside the area is working at a disadvantage.

Good Luck.