Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default crawlspace insulation

wrote:

On Sep 26, 12:05*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Bought a 1967 brick rancher two months ago. *The termite inspector
yesterday told me yesterday I had a water pipe leaking rather
badly. The plumber came and fixed it but also told me there is no
insulation under the house in the crawlspace. *He says there are
staples there but the insulation is gone. *For some reason the
home inspector never mentioned lack of insulation. *Since all my
previous homes have been on slab I never thought to ask.

Obviously the old insulation was ripped out for some reason (flood,
maintenance?) and never replaced. *I've called a few people to
give me estimates. *Any ideas on what to expect? *The house is
around 1700 sq ft.

International Residential Code 2003 calls for R-19 in floors.

I finally got hold of the local codes person. I'm told insulation in
floor joists was not required until 1976. My house is grandfathered
in. That said, he still recommended the insulation but was not in
favor of a plastic moisture barrier on the ground.