Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Just had a thought about surge suppressors...

On Sep 25, 10:00*am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
An odd thing happened when we installed a coax suppressor. *This was in a
new home with a new Cox coax feed. *Our cablemodemworked fine, but we
lost about half the cable stations from our cable box to TV. *It was not a
channel filter. *Cox advised us to remove it, and all channels were back. *
I haven't tried another suppressor.

Those protectors do not even claim to provide needed protection.
Read its specs. It does not list protection from the typically
destructive surge. Essential is that cable make a short (ie 'less
than 10 foot') connection to the same earth ground electrode used by
everything else. And that the earthing electrode is a best earth
ground on the property. Cable companies routinely advise removing in-
line surge protectors.

Second, any properly constructed protector does not fail during a
surge. But failure does get the naive to recommend more ineffective
protectors. Effective protection system means nobody knows a surge
even existed; that no protector fails.

Third, to block surges, that in-line coax protector must stop or
absorb the same frequencies that carry TV signals. How does it not
block TV signals and yet block surges? Again, read its specs. It did
not claim to provide that protection.